Thursday, July 16, 2015

Hailey's "These are actually really good!" Clean Wraps

Hi, Hailey here :)
  So, for the past week I have been trying to get my family to eat more "clean". When I say clean, I mean eating more of the healthier options in each food group. We have been embracing foods like vegetables, fruits, and whole grains and ditching the processed, sugar filled, and refined foods that have had all the nutrients taken out. We have been very good this past week having a meal plan everyday that looks something like this, for example- 
Breakfast- scrambled eggs in whole grain wrap
Snack- trail mix and fruit
Lunch- whole grain spaghetti with light marinara sauce
Snack- homemade (or store bought hummus) with whole grain crackers
Dinner- turkey burger with sweet potato fries

Well, for tonights dinner, I forgot to thaw the frozen chicken breasts. :( 
So I had to improvise but still keep it clean and toddler friendly. No pressure, right?

As I was frantically searching Pinterest for clean and healthy ideas, I seemed to be missing at least one ingredient from each recipe I found. That is always the case! Although my sweet husband offered to run to the store for 1 simple ingredient, I was determined to not have to either-

1. Get the kids in the car and drive all the way to the store for one thing, argue about why we can't buy candy at the checkout line, and trying to convince our 3 year old that all the games and 50 cent horse rides in the store are all "sleeping." 

Or...

 2- Have my husband go to the store allowing me stay home alone with both boys leaving me extra "on my own" parenting time. I'm a stay at home mommy so you can see why once my husband gets home, he his home for good!

I went into the kitchen and started grabbing ingredients like I knew exactly what I was going to make and start cooking like I was on an episode of Top Chef, (even though I was in my pj's and a messy braid), and this is what I came up with!

If you tried my, "These are actually really good!" Clean Wraps, let me know! I'd love to hear your take on them :)






Ingredients- 
Whole grain tortillas
2-3 cups of shredded chicken 
1 cup of brown rice 
1/4 cup of cilantro
1/3 cup of white onion
1 can of black beans (drained)
1/3 cup of shredded cheese (not clean because its processed but hey, I was in a bind!)
1/3 cup diced Roma tomatos 
Shredded lettuce

Seasonings to taste-
Onion Powder
Chili Power
Cumin
Cayenne Pepper
Salt
Pepper

Instructions-
Cook your rice. I use the microwave kind that cooks it on 7 minutes. Put cooked rice in a deep skillet and turn on medium to low heat. Add cooked shredded chicken, onion, cilantro, black beans, tomatoes, and spices. Let that simmer together for about 5 minutes then turn off heat. Add the cheese and stir until it is all melted. 
Add a heaping spoon full to tortilla and top with shredded lettuce and extra diced tomatoes if desired.
Wrap your tortilla up and enjoy! My 3 year old even ate a whole wrap, definitely toddler approved :)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like my quick and easy Chille Con Carne or Easy Quiche that I made this week... I want food on the table without too much trouble while I unpack the car, shower and relax.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo- Yes! Food on the table without too much trouble is what I'm all about, especially in a house full of boys!
    I bet your Chile Con Carne or Easy Quiche tastes amazing!

    -Hailey

    ReplyDelete