Sunday, January 4, 2015

Banana Bread Day

Today just feels like a Banana Bread day, and although I've got a few different recipes for this easy-to-make treat, here is one of my family favorites.  I make two loaves at a time, you can cut the measurements in half if you'd rather make a single loaf.   

Ingredients-
6 very ripe bananas
4 eggs
1 & 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 stick unsalted butter melted
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

For outstanding banana bread, I always start with very speckled bananas. The darker the bananas, the sweeter the bread.
 I recommend mixing  this bread by hand, you just want the batter blended and well moistened. I despise cleaning my nut chopper, so I've come up with a better technique. Try it, you may never clean your chopper again!  I place a couple hands full of pecans in a ziplock bag and gently pound pecans with the edge of a wooden spoon.  


 Dump pecans into batter and toss ziplock in the trash. Easy, huh?

Butter or grease two loaf pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a fork, squish up 6 very ripe bananas. You want them to resemble chunky baby food. 


Add 1 Cup melted butter, 4 eggs,  1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla (I always use Mexican vanilla - yum)!  Mix well.


In separate bowl combine 3 cups all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Mix dry ingredients well then add to banana mixture.

 Add chopped pecans. 

Pour into loaf pans. Bake at 350 for about 1 hour.

Bread is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 

Happy baking :)
Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment